Monday 18 March 2013

Still Life - controlling light (and more dust)

Still life and vintage

I really love still life pictures and increasingly so in black and white, or with a vintage sepia like atmosphere.

I have tried making some for myself using fruit, vegetables and other objects I have found around my house.

I also  have seen some still life photographs set up to look like old paintings - you can see some great examples if you click here

(although these make my early attempts look quite simple - but something to aim for in the future)

Pears

Woodworking tools
Pewter jug with lemons
Pewter jug with apples and wine

Only 1 new panorama this week, and this time with a camera not an iphone
Top image is mimicking Fuji Velvia film, the lower image is a more vinatge style again - I am always amazed by how easily these effects can be applied in modern post processing, and even more amazed by how they change the whole atmosphere of the photograph


Modern house in the Dutch landscape





The Dust Demons

Last week I described how I managed to get a blob of something on my sensor, and while I succesfully cleaned that off, I ended up with a smear across the sensor. I ordered some visible dust smear away solution from the internet, next day delivery - but days passed by and nothing showed up. The order details just said approved so eventually I called the customer service line - the smear away cleaner was out of stock (despite that the web site still said they had it available), they could not get any more so that part of the order was cancelled, the othet item - a dust brush - was also out of stock but don't worry they will send it when one eventually arrives.  Not very impressive.

As the web site still said that they had some in their nearby shop so on Saturday I called in to see if tis was really true, but no they did not have any, and also said they could not get any more - I must have looked very dissappointed because the shop guy went and had a look in their workshop and came back with a nearly full bottle that he gave me for free - very impressive service now. 

I bought some cleaning swabs and came home and presto the smear dissapeared with just one swipe across the sensor.  So finally back in business without any tell tale blobs in my shots - but a lesson learned in keeping dust and the camera as far apart as possible.

Cleaning the sensor itself was very easy - in my opinion nothing to be worried about so long as you are careful.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has had a try at sensor cleaning  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment