Sunday 3 March 2013

Again and Again


You may remember that since the beginning of 2013 I have been taking and uploading a photograph each day to the Blipfoto journal website ( See Blipfoto )

This means that everyday I have to find and take a photograph, some days this is very difficult, particularly if I am busy at work, or travelling on business, other days it is easy and I end up with a choice of possibilities.

The other realization I have made in this process is that I return to and photograph the same locations again and agian, and it is remarkable how the the whole mood and atmosphere of a shot can be altered by the lighting conditions, and also just how short your memory can be of how the waether chnage sin just a few days or weeks.

The two images below are a good illustration, the top image was taken on a bright day (10 Feb) the lower image just 2 weeks later on the 24th February when winter had temporarily returned.




Another return location is one of my ' favorite' trees near Grasmere - I have this tree in many of its clothes and disguises.

The top version shows the tree and a lot of background with the mist still boiling off the lake, and for me looks a bit busy and messy.

The middle misty version isolates the tree from the background giving a more atmospheric feel.

The last example includes the lake and two fishermen in a small red boat giving yet a different feel to the image



 


Having photos which I cannot choose to use in my daily journal is also forcing me to consider why one image ' makes it' and others are left out.

Sometimes its a clear choice, sometimes very close, and its not always the best most in focus picture that I choose, sometimes its just the right mood for the moment.

Left below is an image I did not use, while the right shot is an iPhone image that I took in Amsterdam walking back from a restaurant, which I thought captured the mood of the city just after midnight and which did go in my journal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment