Saturday 9 March 2013

iPhone Panormas and Dusty Demons


I was working in Finland for a few days this week, unfortunately no real time for photographing the beautiful scenery, maybe this was just as well, there is still a lot of snow around which is great to photograph, but the temperature was -15C so not very comfortable to be outside for very long.

We did have a 90 minute car ride from the airport and I spent some time trying to take photographs through the car window using my iPhone.  Then I started using the panorama feature on the phone.

The usual way to use this is to set up the phone, press the start button and then slowly move the phone to take in the panorama you want, doing it from the car offers an alternative technique where you simply hold the phone still as the scenery moves along past you.

For photographs where you have only the distant scenery this gives a pretty nice picture from a distance looks pretty neat in fact, but if anything more close by pops into the picture - like a passing car or truck - this gives a different effect entirely, you can see what I mean in the examples below - (tip have a look at the cars in the pictures and you will see the effect I mean)





  

This last picture was made in the more conventional way of standing still and moving the phone
 


This week I realised that the marks I could sometimes see on the photographs taken with my little Sony NEX camera were caused by dust on the sensor.  You can only see this on the sensor using a strong magnifying glass.  I expected just one or two specs of dust, it actually looked like someone had emptied their vacuum cleaner on to it.

Dust marks in the senor= marks on the photo

No problem I thought, just blow it off with a blower brush.  This did not seem to have much effect so I tried with my little can of camera cleaner compressed air.

I had seen a guy in the camera shop do this, just check first on the back of your hand that its not too powerful and then in you go.

All went well for about one second then a big blob of water (?) came out of the compressed air can and landed - yes you've guessed it - right on the sensor.

So now not only has the sensor got dust on it - now it looks like a my car windscreen in summer - that is as if a fly has been squashed on it.




Senor after cleaning (Really the desert in Morocco)
So onto the internet and order a cleaning kit, which promptly arrives the next day.  Looks simple enough - has a little swabbing tool and some cleaning fluid.  Set it all up and manage to clean the gunk off the sensor.  Problem solved - until I decided one last swipe just to finish off - and suddenly I have a big smear of oil (?) from something at the edge of the sensor.

Back on the internet and order some extra special smear cleaning fluid - promised for delivery next day but so far I am still waiting .... so more to follow next week 




No comments:

Post a Comment