Sunday 16 December 2012

Low Lights and High Lights


 Another Tragic Moment

Yesterday morning I woke to the news of the Sandy Hook School shooting where a 20 year old has killed his mother, 6 other adults and 20 children mostly girls aged between 6 and 7 in a shooting massacre.

Words cannot express my horror at yet another one of these mindless, pointless incidents which not only destroys the lives of the people killed but also devastates their families friends and many others.

When and how will we be able to stop forever anyone from committing this kind of crazy crime?






On a brighter note much of my spare time this week has been spent putting my pictures together for my small exhibition.

I have only (!) ten pictures with a split between colour and black and white, all in similar frames so there is a consistent look. It is surprising how much time and effort is needed to frame up ten photos so they look complete and professional.

The next question is how to price them in case someone is tempted to buy. There is a cost of course to the printing and framing. I also have prices on my web site but selling success there has been remarkably small ( actually zero so far but you never know!! )

Its never quite clear why there is the lack of sales ( and I know I am not alone in this question). Of course the photographs may not be good enough, or the prices too high, but more i think it is that the market is simply saturated. Too many people and too many photographs ! Even the successful landscape and art photographers are saying that surviving and making a living just from selling photographs is increasingly difficult, and you also need to profit from Internet advertising, calendars, workshops and so on.

So i think my prices have to be a bit lower than on the website, but still at a level that gives some credibility and profit.

This is a bit how they look finished off with a light almost white mount mat and solid black frames.

So now I am waiting for the buyers to call.................  and probably still waiting next week.......






Tonight I visited the China Light Festival in Rotterdam. I have watched this being built in the park next to my office for the last few weeks. Its open from now until February so this may just be my first of a few visits.

Not surprising to see a lot of people with cameras but unusually a lot of people with tripods. Also a lot of people trying to photograph the lights with the camera flash still turned on. I think they would be amazed how much better their photos could look if they just spent an hour learning some basics from their camera manual.

Trying to photograph the laser light show was the most interesting and difficult. The electronic view finder on the camera revealed light pulses in the laser which you could not see just with your eyes, and the light is moving so fast that the lines become blurs and waves in the pictures - so which is lying ? the camera or your eyes? 





No comments:

Post a Comment